Saturday, January 5, 2008

Tumbleweed invasion

First, let me say, "It's good to be back in cyberspace!" I have a lot of catching up to do and I will start with an entry into the Southern Living category. We have been out of touch because we have been visiting family in Southern California. I had no idea that I would have any entries from California in the Southern Living category, but this particular blog really is specific to living in Southern California, so here comes the fun.....
Across the road from my parents' home is the home camp of an invading army. It sort of reminds me of something you would see in a science-fiction movie; Alien pods all growing in the field waiting to 'hatch' and go about spreading mayhem.



Perhaps you can't see the General here making his plans for just the right time to attack, but they were all ready to go the moment a powerful, epic windstorm came upon our valley. Like a well-oiled machine, teams of these soldiers uprooted and headed west to the enemy camp(that's us). The first string met with the great resistance (that's the 5-foot chain link fence). The second string also could not penetrate this fortified barrier. So, "What did they do?" you ask? Well, I'll tell you. They regrouped and their General came up with a brilliant plan - Leap Frog. So, the first string and second string banded together against the fence in order to give the third string a 'boost' over the previously impenatrable barrier. And again, like a well-oiled machine, their comrades tumbled right over the 5 foot fence and began the occupation of various areas of our encampent (aka - our home). For days we didn't know what to do, so we sent in a scout....

Our brave little scout burrowed through here and there to gather intelligence and the enemy barely even noticed his existence. He let us know that the only way was for us to gather our weapons and oust the enemy from our camp.(Also, my Dad called the city and they said they would only remove the debris from public property - and you for sure cannot just make a pile of them, throw some diesel fuel on it, and light it with glee in the great state of California!). So, our wee little army of me, the 12 year old twins, and my Mom on her lunch hour - got whatever tools we could find and pushed the opposing army back to it's camp! This was a painstaking battle, full of peril and injury (and my Mom had so many stickers in her hair, it looked like she had taken a roll in the hay), but we finally triumphed over every last enemy. I am seriously thinking of bringing this army up on charges under the Geneva convention because they in no way fought fair.


In the corner there you can see my Daughter sending one over the fence - what you don't see is my Mom on the other side of the tumbleweed helping her lift and push, and me on the receiving side of the fence also helping to lift and pull! Let me just remind you that you are looking at FIVE FOOT HIGH fencing and some of the tumbleweeds were taller than the fence. Victory is ours!

5 comments:

His Girl said...

I'm so proud of your triumph... but I'm afraid you aren't representin' SoCal well with these pictures! Where are the beautiful skies, rolling hills, green pastures?

oh...

under the tract homes and tumbleweeds you say?

well... we loved having you here. hope we can get you back soon. it just isn't the same without the Master of the Tumbleweeds and her family here :)

Becky said...

LOL! Loved your little 'scout'.

That looks a lot like our area of the southwest, too...except that we'd have a few Joshua Tree's sticking up here and there.

A few years ago, some gal made a MINT on e-bay, gathering tumbleweeds, spraypainting them gold, and selling/shipping them all over the world (for $45 as I recall), touted as Desert Christmas Trees. People in New York were buying them because they were so novel. Just an idea...

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you're back online! I look forward to more of your thoughts in '08! Hope you're having a great start to the new year. Still waiting on orders...

Shauna said...

That's unbelieveable! I've only seen tumbleweed in the movies. You brave soldiers fought well. :-)

Vindiciti said...

http://potw.news.yahoo.com/s/potw/55334/rolling-in-cash

You should have followed in Linda's footsteps and sold the enemies. We didn't have any in the part of Cali that I was in over Christmas, just north of Napa. I don't even think my mom has any in Yuma, Az because it is so dry.

You're a riot. Love ya. =D