Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Price Of A Mom

A new report assigns a salary to a stay-at-home mother, based on the jobs she does in a normal week.
By MSN Money staff
What's a mom worth?
According to one new report, $138,095 a year.
That's the figure in a report by Salary.com, which calculates the wages that would have been paid a stay-at-home mom in 2007 if she were compensated for all the elements of her "job." That total is up 3% from 2006's salary of $134,121.
Moms who have jobs outside the house would earn another $85,939 for their mothering work, beyond what they bring home in existing salary.
Talk back: What's your "mom work" worth?
The job descriptions that Salary.com used to determine a mom's salary includes 10 jobs that moms do on an average day: housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, CEO and psychologist.
Plenty of overtime In calculating a mom's wages, Salary.com looked at the "overtime" that both working and stay-at-home moms put in each week.
"Mom works multiple jobs and rarely gets a break from the action, working an average of 52 hours of overtime," said Bill Coleman, senior vice president at Salary.com, in a statement.
According to the Salary.com survey, stay-at-home moms work a 92-hour week, with more than half the workweek spent in overtime.
Working moms, meanwhile, logged more than nine hours of "overtime," with an average 49-hour "mom" work week -- on top of their full-time paying jobs.
For the Salary.com survey, more than 40,000 moms quantified their hours per job description; Salary.com benchmarked the median salaries for each job to the national median salary for each position as reported by employers.
The final salary was calculated by weighting the salaries and hours worked in each role.

According to this info, someone owes me 1,726,187.50

I'll be gracious and wave the interest. Just give me the principal. Go ahead. Right now please.

10 comments:

Brandy said...

I'm totally sending this to my husband. I CRACKED UP when I read how much someone owes you!! LOL!!!!! So funny. I hope you get it soon! then you can buy us all airline tix to PA. hahah!!! I miss you S4J!!

Alana said...

Amen, sister!

Sign me up for direct deposit!

IdahoAngie said...

I did some sort of questionaire once about how much I would get paid if I actually got paid to be a mom. I would make more a year then my husband does. close to $200,000.00 If Moms actually got paid to be moms. This would would be broke as all get out. There wouldn't be enough money to pay everyone else who works outside the home. Personally spending time with my kids is the best payment I could recieve. There is nothing that pays better then the love of your children!

Sing4joy said...

except maybe cold hard cash!

Unknown said...

Hehe. I've heard this before, but love to hear it. If you got the H@H card that I made, btw, that figure of like $80k is only the figure for a wife, not even counting mom stuff. I'm not saying it's accurate, but it was the most consistent number that I found.

Anyway, see ya on Friday at Palmetto Terrace at 9am for Amanda's PC party, Blondie! <3

Susie Q said...

You are so funny! But it is really true isn't it? I hope you get your back pay soon! If you do, see if they have my envelope too okay??

Thanks for the giggle.

Hugs,
Sue

His Girl said...

I'll take that in chocolate today. thanks.

Andrea Frazer said...

i am sending that to rex.
the yellow fluff ball posted in my sex post yesterday? it's a ... a... ha ha you'll have to wait for my post tonight!

PJ said...

Okay. I'll take my backpay -- for those years the boys were at home (Because right NOW my hubby would get the extra pay!!!) Should be...oh...a million or so dollars from back in the day. Yeah. I'll waive the interest too!! You know the government of Dubai pays its citizens a stipend of about $100,000 per year at tax time....stipend from government owned oil sales. . . Never mind, I won't go there!!!

Jenster said...

Me too, please!! And what about dog groomer, trainer, walker and picker upper of poop??